Translate

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Benefits and Challenges of Online Learning


Online teaching is a by product of the Information Age. It began in 1994 with Utah's Electronic High School and today it's growing at a phenomenal rate.   Buzzwords like engaging, motivating, interacting, differentiating, and collaborating have the attention of  many in and outside the educational realm.  Just like the Industrial Age, this new era is changing how we live, learn, and communicate. 

Online learning is re-defining the dynamics of teaching. The roles, responsibilities, and strategies used are different than what is found in a traditional classroom . Online teachers are facilitators guiding groups and individuals through a course.  Online requires a teacher to be almost 24/7, responding quickly to students needs and questions.  A teacher's presence online is crucial for students to feel they are connected and not isolated. There are more managerial duties and technical requirements for an online teacher. Many online teachers feel isolated professionally and disconnected from their students as discussed in "Everybody is their own Island": Teacher disconnection in Virtual School.  Many feel they need additional skills and training to teach online, but agree they enjoy the flexibility in when, where, and how they teach. 

I became involved with online teaching for my county in 2012.  I attended JMU with another teacher interested in teaching HPE (health, physical education) online. We were the only HPE teachers designated by the department qualified to teach online. The program was introduced at the time, to only those students who could not attend a general physical education class because of health issues. I traveled during my planning time and met with each student at their high school.  Many times the parents would be there as well.  I outlined the procedures and expectations to the parents and then met individually with each student. From this information, I designed a course built around each student's interests and needs.  For example, I had a student with severe Lyme's Disease. She researched and designed a nutritional diet to help her condition.  Her doctor was on board with this as well.  For physical activity, she learned about yoga, designed a yoga fitness plan with poses, and developed breathing techniques to reduce stress.  Her engagement was rewarding and her success was my success, much like what I read about teacher's satisfaction in Factors influencing Teacher Satisfaction at an Online Charter School. I did receive compensation for my 12 students, but finding time out of my normal teaching schedule was a continuous struggle. My planning time was never enough to build, implement, monitor, interact, and manage an online class.  

The next year, central office decided online HPE students would be taught by a HPE teacher at their own high school. None of the HPE teachers received online training. Last spring our county announced all interested in teaching online would be required to complete their online instructional class.  The class was a basic one on definitions and learning how to use moodle. Meanwhile I was writing curriculum for HPE online learning with the 3 other PE teachers and our supervisor.  We were given 1 professional day per quarter. In June of last year, our efforts were thrown out the window and replaced by a software program consisting of worksheets and tests. These online classes were chosen by higher up administrators, not the department and were introduced mid June and continue today.  Lost is the flexibility and creativity to modify a lesson for individual needs.  It simply takes the joy out of teaching. 
My vision of online teaching is different from my colleagues and administrators.  I credit my master's degree and pursuit of continuing education for this. I understand the isolation and disconnected factor that many online teachers experience. I find staying involved and taking online classes helps broaden my thinking and increase my learning.  It also puts a teacher in a welcoming environment.

This past summer I passed on teaching the online classes.  My friend, the other HPE teacher, signed up to teach them.  There were worksheets with drop boxes and tests to administered.  The course itself is elementary compared to what a high school student would use. She said her biggest complaint was losing the students and getting them to turn in the work required.  Many waited until the last week to submit all the work.  She said it was frustrating and they would not answer her emails.  She was teaching 25 students.  This fall we had only 12 sign up for the class and she was the designated online teacher.  I may consider this next year, but it will be difficult for me to use this particular software program limiting my creativity and design abilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment