Translate

Monday, September 22, 2014

Say what???

"Say Whaaaat?"  

9/16/2014   3:00pm
Digital Native Student( DNS)  is spotted by Digital Immigrant teacher (DIT) as she texts on her cell phone in physical education class.  
"Why are you using your phone in PE class?" says DIT.
"I'm texting my mom".  says DNS.
"You know there's no cellular devices allowed in PE class, right?" says DIT.
"It's ok because it's my mom", says DNS.
"No it's not ok and I need you to give me the phone", says DIT.
"Give me the phone", says DIT.
"I'm asking you to give me the phone, you know the policy", says DIT. 
"Why are you disrespecting me?", says DNS.

9/19/2014   1;30pm
Digital Native Student (DNS) is found coming out of the team locker room by Digital Immigrant teacher (DIT).
"Hey, what are you doing in there"? says DIT.
"I'll be out in a few", says DNS.
"No you need to come out now because that is not your locker room", says DIT.
"Come on, I'm waiting for you", says DIT.
" Come on, I need to get to class and lock this door." says DIT.
"Come on, let's go now!" says DIT.
"I don't do anything when someone disrespects me", says DNS.
"Who's disrespecting you?" says DIT.
"You are! says DNS.

I was one of the original teachers to open THS in 2010.  In the early days before our school's doors opened, we were ask to create a school motto.  How do you want to "set the tone?", our principal asked. We met in several discussion groups and then came back together to report.   Respect was a recurring word heard loudly from the groups.  We later put together the word RISE meaning respect, integrity, service, and excellence.  Make an impact in our world, RISE above the rest, we proudly exclaimed!

In the first week of every school year, this motto is repeated in announcements, advisory lessons, and individual classes. Respect, expectations, appropriate behavior, etc.  Respect is a sermon given by teachers and administrators to students.  We preach it, but I'm sure no one is listening.

I find humor in all of this particularly now after reading "Do Learners Really Know Best? Urban Legends in Education" by Paul A. Kirschner a & Jeroen J.G. van Merriënboer.  I'm starting to "get it" myself by realizing the world has changed more than I thought.  I'm passionate about technology and all the wonderful tools for teaching it has delivered to us, but I didn't realize how much society has changed. Authority is no longer accepted and respected like my teachers above thought when creating our school motto.  The reality is authority is constantly questioned and students believe they are entitled to be in charge of themselves. I understand this now after reading this article.  The conversation listed above I was involved in last week.  In both instances, I spoke later with each student and we did come to an understanding.  I now know why the first approach did not work. It's really not about respect and it I take the word out of the equation, it works.  I will try a different dialog with my students in class and focus more on speaking their language.  It is crystal clear to me that educators need to adapt and learn the new ways of teaching today's students.  

The article Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants states that the educational system in place today was not designed for the student's of today.  A major overhaul must take place, but not all educators are willing to change and learn new ideas/techniques. I witness this in my own field where teachers feel threatened by online learning and unwilling to change from the old way of worksheets and tests.   I consider myself to be an unique entity in this environment because I am older.  I like the change. I want to learn and try new techniques.  I want to be on the cutting edge.  I enjoy and embrace it.  What I was missing was a communication piece.  I need to learn the language.




       


1 comment:

  1. Hi Peggy,

    It was great talking to you yesterday and thanks for sharing your thoughts on your blog. I loved reading your actual conversations with students. It took me back to when I taught and had to take away cellphones. I think that it's great that many schools now encourage students to bring them to class. It takes schools a while to come around :-)

    People have really latched on to the Digital Native concept but, as we read this week, there really isn't a lot of research to support the theory. As a result the concept can actually be dangerous because many teachers just assume that their students already know how to use educational technology or they can just figure it out on their own. As a result students don't have the support that they need to be successful.

    ReplyDelete